Any dog over the age of 4 months must be licensed at the City Office at 104 S. Main, by showing proof of rabies shot and paying the fee of $6.25 during the month of January or $11.25 the rest of the year unless the animal is newly acquired. All licenses expire on December 31st.


Breeds which cannot be licensed are Doberman, Pit Bull, Rottweiler, and Wolf hybrids.


Any household having more than 3 dogs must apply to the City Council for a kennel license.


Dogs must be either tied up or fenced in.





Registration is required for all-terrain or utility vehicles operated on the streets and highways within the corporate limits of the City of Atkinson. The registration must be displayed on the rear of the ATV while in operation in the city.


Requirements for registration include:

Inspection of the ATV by an Atkinson police officer showing it is equipped with headlights, taillights, brake lights, an OEM muffler; and

a federally approved bicycle safety flag which extends not less than five (5) feet above ground attached to the rear of such vehicle. The bicycle safety flag shall be triangular in shape with an area of not less than 30 square inches and shall be Day-Glo in color.


To register your ATV, stop in at the City office at 104 S. Main, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with your ATV for inspection, proof of liability insurance coverage and payment of $10.00 for the annual registration fee.






Building permits are required when changing outside dimensions of an existing building or erecting a new building in the city and within one mile outside the city limits. Applications for building permits may be picked up at the City Office and must be approved by the City Council.

104 S. Main St., / PO Box 519 / Atkinson, NE  68713 / Ph: 402-925-5313 / Fax: 402-925-5780

This institution is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer.

  • Facebook Classic
  • Twitter Classic
  • Google Classic
  • RSS Classic
Mill Race Park Campgrounds