Comprehensive Plan 2016-2026
2022 ANNUAL REVIEW OF COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
The goals listed below were outlined in the Atkinson Comprehensive Plan 2016-2026. The plan provides guidance on where and how the City will invest and change over the next 10 years. The purpose of the annual review of the plan is for the City officials to determine whether updates need to be made. Review at a public meeting is pertinent in providing proof of the public’s continued input on this plan.
Goal: IMPROVE THE EXISTING HOUSING MARKET
- Atkinson Betterment Corp. sold building spec house No. 4.
- Atkinson completed a rental duplex in 2020 - 3-bedroom, 2-bath. Planning additional duplex in near future.
- Rehabilitation and Down Payment Assistance programs continue through CNEDD partnership.
- Few if no housing nuisances were report.
Goal: IMPROVE PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE
- Work continues on 1- and 6-year road plans.
- New infrastructure for S. Hwy. 11 water pressure project was completed in 2020.
- Atkinson LB840 Property Improvement Program has been greatly used for commercial properties to replace awnings, signage, graphics, etc. as well as residential and commercial structure demolitions and sidewalk replacements.
- Replacement of sidewalks on Main Street in downtown area was completed in 2022.
- Annual assessment of water and sewer lines to prioritize replacement continues.
- Replace portions of the sidewalks on State Street in the downtown area.
- Continue to replace outdated hydrants and main valves as needed.
Goal: PROMOTE COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT
- Industrial/Commercial sites continue to be marketed. Three of five lots sold in 2020.
- Atkinson Economic Development (AED) continues to work with businesses through the Business Retention and Expansion program.
- Current incubator building continues to be successful. The renter has continued to grow in services as well as provider offerings.
Goal: FURTHER ENHANCE AMENITIES/PROMOTE TOURISM
- Partnership between Atkinson Economic Development and Atkinson Area Chamber of Commerce to promote tourism through advertising and events.
- Refurbishing of ballfields continues.
- Development continues of Mill Race Park camp sites and hiking trail.
- Development continues at City Park including playground equipment and swimming pool.
- Downtown beautification continues at Gazebo and Railroad Park projects.
Goal: DEVELOP MARKETING CAMPAIGN
- Atkinson Economic Development and Chamber of Commerce partner to market the City through brochures, conferences and events.
- Social media campaign through website and Facebook.
Goal: ENHANCE HIGHWAY CORRIDORS & COMMUNITY BEAUTIFICATION
- Downtown area enhanced through green spaces at Gazebo and RR Parks.
- Welcome signs on each end of town need continued work – landscaping, plants, etc.
- Replacing/adding trees in parks as needed.
View the City of Atkinson's current Comprehensive Plan 2016-2026 by clicking on the sections below: