Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

City of Atkinson


Ajax Loading Image


Fair Housing

fair housing logo Fair Housing...It's Your Right!  fair housing logo


Basic Facts About the Fair Housing Act ...

What is Prohibited?

In the Sale and Rental of Housing:  No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:

  •  Refuse to rent or sell housing
  •  Refuse to negotiate for housing
  •  Make housing unavailable
  •  Deny a dwelling
  •  Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a swelling
  •  Provide different housing services or facilities
  •  Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
  •  For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent
  •  Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing

In Mortgage Lending:  No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (disability):

  •  Refuse to make a mortgage loan
  •  Refuse to provide information regarding loans
  •  Impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points or fees
  •  Discriminate in appraising property
  •  Refuse to purchase a loan
  •  Set different terms or conditions for purchasing a loan

In Addition, It is illegal for anyone to:

  •  Threaten, coerce, intimidate or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others who  exercise that right.
  •  Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or handicap. This prohibition against discriminatory advertising applies to single-family and owner-occupied housing that is otherwise exempt from the Fair Housing Act.

IF YOU OR SOMEONE ASSOCIATED WITH YOU has a physical or mental disability (including hearing, mobility and visual impairments, chronic alcoholism, chronic mental illness, AIDS, AIDS-related complex and mental retardation) that substantially limits one or more major life activity, have a record of such disability, or are regarded as having such a disability -

YOUR LANDLORD MAY NOT refuse to let you make reasonable modifications to your dwelling or common use areas, at your expense, if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing (where reasonable, the landlord may permit changes only if you agree to restore the property to its original condition when you move), or refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices or services if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing.


Contact the nearest HUD office at:

Kansas City Regional Office of FHEO
U.S. Dept.of Housing & Urban Development
Gateway Tower II
400 State Ave., Room 200
Kansas City, KS  656101-2406
Phone: 913-441-6958
Toll Free : 800-743-5323
TYY: 913-551-6972


What to tell HUD:

  • Your name and address
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is against (the respondent)
  • The address of other identification to the housing involved
  • A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated)
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation


What happens when you file a complaint and what HUD will do:

  • Notify the alleged violator of your complaint and permit that person to submit an answer
  • Investigate your complaint and determine whether there is reasonable cause to believe the Fair Housing Act has been violated
  • Notify you if it cannot complete an investigation within 100 days of receiving your complaint

    The information contained in this brochure was taken from the www.HUD.gov website.


For additional information about Fair Housing, please contact the agencies below: 

Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission: https://neoc.nebraska.gov/laws/laws.html

Fair Housing Center of Nebraska-Iowa: http://www.fhasinc.org/uploads/2/2/3/1/22316320/fair_housing_english_layout_1.pdf


​This Information Has Been Brought To You By …


Judy Petersen, Housing Director
Central Nebraska Housing Developers
P.O. Box 201
Chambers, NE  68725
Phone: 402-340-0106
Email: judy@cnhdhome.org


Providing housing programs and funds to communities and residents in the following counties: 
Blaine, Boyd, Brown Cherry, Custer, Garfield, Greeley, Hamilton, Holt, Howard, Keya Paha,
Loup, Merrick, Rock, Sherman, Valley and Wheeler


Your Local Contact:

Amanda Sindelar
Economic Development Director
City of Atkinson
P.O. Box 519
Atkinson, NE  68713
Phone: 402-925-5313
Email: amanda.sindelar@atkinsonne.com